This week we had Devin Reed, Head of Content Strategy at Gong, join us on the Bowery podcast to talk about “Creating a Winning B2B Content Strategy.”
Here are some of the main questions and ideas we discussed in the podcast:
1. Let’s cover some of the basics. What is content strategy?
2. Let’s talk a bit about the process more broadly and then we can dive into each step. How would you outline the typical process for creating and executing a B2B content strategy?
3. How does the process differ for various company stages?
4. How does it change depending on ICP/buyer persona?
5. How do you divide and conquer the process internally?
6. What about for smaller companies that are just getting started? They want to be consistent with their content but don’t have the luxury of a big team.
7. How do you think about balancing quantity and quality and does that balance change over time?
8. Is there a bare minimum that B2B startups should be abiding by for content quantity?
9. How do you measure success and how does that change over time as your content strategy matures?
10. Let’s talk about some of the internal dynamics at play. As companies get larger and there are more internal stakeholders involved and sometimes competing budgets and ideas for how to achieve the company goals, any tips for getting folks internally bought into your content strategy?
11. A follow on question to that is around creating buzz. One thing I’ve noticed that Gong does really well is engage organically with Gong content on LinkedIn – Gongsters commenting and sharing with their own unique take and voice. How do you make that part of Gong’s culture?
12. Let’s briefly touch on content gating – what’s your take on if and when companies should gate their content?
13. What are some of the biggest mistakes people make when creating and executing their content strategy?
Big thank you to Devin for coming on the podcast and sharing his insights with us!
After graduating from CSU, Sacramento with an English degree, Devin chased his dream of living in San Francisco where he immediately fell into Tech sales. He quickly found his niche selling sales tech to sales leaders – the fastest way to build business acumen (and very thick skin) and loved it. In 2017, he joined Gong as the 2nd sales hire, then two years later pivoted and joined the marketing team to lead content strategy. He’s responsible for planning and executing Gong’s content strategy across demand gen, social media, webinars and events, video, and thought leadership campaigns. He also owns The Reeder where he helps B2B marketing and sales teams with content strategy.
If you liked “Creating a Winning B2B Content Strategy” and want to read more content from the Bowery Capital Team, check out other relevant posts from the Bowery Capital Blog.