Here are some of the main questions and ideas we discussed in the podcast:
1. Let’s touch on some more basics as it relates to SEO. Most listeners know what SEO means, but what about the mechanics of it? What are the primary levers companies use to rank higher in search results and where does this term link building fit in?
2. You work with companies and founders all the time helping them get more out of their content. Let’s talk about what you most often see as the current state of people’s content/distribution strategy - what’s that look like, what are people most often getting right vs. getting wrong, etc.?
3. You mentioned taking the time to do proper link building is something a lot of startups miss the mark on. How big of a factor is link building when it comes to SEO?
4. Before we get tactical on how to actually do link building, help me understand where this fits in from an order of operations standpoint. Is this something I should do as a founder once I’ve already built up a certain amount of content, is this something I should do in parallel with some paid digital marketing activities?
5. Let’s get tactical. Take us through the link building process - what does that look like?
6. Let’s take a closer look at each of those steps, starting with Research. Any tips for how to do this step well and efficiently?
7. What about the next step, prospecting - how can someone do this in practice?
8. Lastly, outreach. Any tips there for how to execute this step and automate where possible?
9. Is there a magic number people should be aiming for when building links for a specific piece of content? How do you know when to stop?
10. What are some common mistakes when folks try to implement this themselves?
11. Any other scrappy SEO tactics or strategies you want to share with our listeners?
12. Any final thoughts, tips or tricks for folks to summarize?
Big thank you to Alan for coming on the podcast and sharing his insights with us!
Alan Silvestri is the Founder and Director of Strategy at Growth Gorilla, a no B.S. content promotion and distribution agency for B2B SaaS companies. He's also a Back to the Future and 80s fanatic, Delorean owner, and punk rocker.
This week Oleg Campbell, Founder and CEO of Reply.io, joins the Bowery Capital Startup Sales Podcast to discuss "Evolving Your Sales Tech Stack."