Reba Cox joins the Bowery Capital Startup Sales Podcast to share her experience as a buyer from organizations like MongoDB, Philips, and ESAB. Topics include 1) what procurement actually does behind the scenes 2) negotiating price vs value with procurement 3) why procurement will never be your champion and strategies to keep them from becoming a blocker.
Here are some of the main questions we discussed in the podcast:
1. What makes selling to engineers different from selling to other roles in a company?
2. With those differences in mind, how do you go about prospecting when you’re looking to reach out to engineers as sales leads?
3. Given engineers may not be as easily reached through traditional sales channels (phone, email, etc.), what’s the best way to reach out and get in touch with them?
4. How can a salesperson garner the respect of the engineer they are selling to if they don’t have as technical of a background as the person they’re selling to?
5. When should you loop in your sales engineer in the sales process?
6. What are common mistakes salespeople make when pitching a product to engineers?
7. How much autonomy do engineers have in making the final purchasing decision?
Big thank you to Oliver for coming on the podcast and sharing his insights with us. If you want to read more about CircuitHub and the work they’ve been doing recently on an open-source Ventilator Project for COVID, you can find more information here.
Oliver is Head of Sales at CircuitHub, a rapid electronics manufacturing scale-up based in London and Massachusetts. He has spent the last 15 years in sales, 10 of which has been in various leadership positions in the financial services industry, logistics, and now, manufacturing.
Jonathan Cochrane (VP Operations, SaaSOptics) joins the Bowery Capital Startup Sales Podcast to discuss 1) how being able to adapt your demo on the fly leads to sales 2) why trying to show all your product features is like a terrible first date and 3) what he looks for when teams present vendors to him for budget approval.
Chad Wonderling (Chief Accounting Officer, Salesloft) joins the Bowery Capital Startup Sales Podcast to discuss 1) what is a CAO and how is it different to other finance roles, 2) what makes an outbound email stick out, 3) how to use LinkedIn to build relationships with prospects, and 4) why sales is a lot like dating.